Yesterday was Mental Health day and a day that we remember and support those who are living with one mental health disease or the other. It is amazing that many don’t know how widespread this is because they assume that those who are dealing with this issue cannot be working members of the community and for them to have a mental health condition that they have to be walking the street buck naked.
The later idea is one that is common amongst many Africans. But, mental health issues goes beyond schizophrenia or bipolar disease or even dementia /alzheimer but it can also be depression (short term or long term). I will end this paragraph by saying, before you judge – learn and know and also, ensure that the person that might be acting crazy isn’t behaving this way as a result of those that he/she has around them. LOOOOL!!! There is always a need to look at your circle critically and purge those who might be bringing more stress than they are worth because friends /families can bring about stress and stress has been linked to dementia.
- World Mental Health Day (onyidoestexas.wordpress.com)
- Mental Health Stigma – Does it Add Up? (whereistandblog.wordpress.com)
- Recovery from Schizoaffective Disorder is Possible (Video) (blogs.psychcentral.com)
- Another bad day for mental health stigma (nexusgeekgirl.wordpress.com)
- Fact file: Mental illness and older adults (globalnews.ca)
- World Mental Health Day (and some sleep deprivation delirium for good measure) (weegeemcscot.wordpress.com)
- On Living With Bipolar Disorder (ireport.cnn.com)